The gorge of Agia Irini, a place of unique beauty and vegetation, is located at the western section of the Lefka Ori (White Mountains), near Agia Irini village, which belongs to the Municipality of Selinos.
The gorge is part of E4 European long-distance path. It is 7,5 kilometeres long and the walk through it requires approximately 3 hours.
The entrance is situated near the village of Agia Irini, and the outlet 5 kilometers north of the coastal village of Sougia.
Even though it is not as well-known as the neighboring gorge of Samaria, the gorge of Agia Irini is equally beautiful. Its vegetation is rich, and one can visit several spots of historical interest along the way. Sougia, a blissful small coastal village on the southern side of Crete. This walk is worth it, just to arrive at Sougia, one of the cutest villages in Crete.
- We pick you up from your hotel or a location in its vicinity early in the morning and we drive you by our bus and our escort – mountain guide – to the Omalos pleateau with the guests of Samaria Gorge.
- After reaching the gorge, you stop at the entrance and by your own, you pay the entrance’s fees.
- Subsequently, you pass through the entrance to the gorge and start your hike.
- In the gorge you walk at your own pace.
- The gorge ends up at the village of Agia Irini. There our bus will be waiting for you and we drive you to Sougia.
- At Sougia, you have free time to swim and lunch (optional) in one of the village’s taverns.
- At 18:30, when the guests of Samaria gorge reach Agia Roumeli, our bus returns you to the location you have been picked up from.
- Your trip has come to an end… get some rest!!!
The equipment you must have with you:
- Proper footwear and socks. (Extra socks is not a bad idea)
- A hat.
- A bottle of water.